Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. - MLK Day of Service
“Everybody can be great, because anybody can serve.” – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
About Jersey Cares Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
The Jersey Cares Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service will mobilize 1,000 volunteers in over 30 service projects across 12 New Jersey counties. Volunteers will honor Dr. King's legacy as they paint murals in schools, create no-sew fleece blankets, serve hot meals, brighten the days of seniors, and organize donations. Volunteers throughout New Jersey will work to embody Dr. King's vision and bring people of all ages and backgrounds together to strengthen their communities and improve New Jersey.
Registration is now open! You can find a complete list of projects HERE. Sign up as an individual or as a team!
- The Jersey Cares Martin Luther King Day, Jr. of Service will be observed on Saturday, January 16, and Monday, January 18, 2016.
- Projects will take place at sites throughout the state (Bergen, Camden, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, and Union counties).
- Projects will take place throughout the day and specific times are posted online.
- All volunteer projects are indoors; however because of the time of year, please check the Jersey Cares website in the event of inclement weather.
- Volunteers should wear clothes they feel comfortable getting dirty.
- Volunteers ages 7+ are welcome to participate at select sites, Some sites have different age limits so please check before registering. Volunteers under the age of 18 must have a youth waiver signed by their parent or legal guardian in order to participate.
Volunteers are needed for the following activities:
- Painting murals (murals sketched in advance)
- Creating no-sew fleece blankets
- Organizing donations
- Serving hot meals
- Socializing with seniors
Note: This is a sampling of projects throughout the state. For a complete list of projects available, click here.
Please join us on Thursday, March 10th from 6:30 pm – 9:30 p.m. at Crystal Plaza in Livingston, NJ, for our exciting new event, Mardi Gras Magic! Featuring an open bar, delicious hors d'oeuvres, a full Cajun-style dinner buffet, live Dixieland Jazz and a silent and raffle auction, Mardi Gras Magic will celebrate some of the most notable people creating real change in our communities. Learn More.
Jersey Cares Day
Jersey Cares Day is a day of true partnership and community building as people from all over New Jersey unite for the common goal of revitalizing local communities. Jersey Cares Day is also a fundraiser to support the important work of Jersey Cares all throughout the year. Like a walk-a-thon, Jersey Cares Day volunteers raise pledges for the time they are contributing, making the event an inspiring way to build stronger communities and help continue that work all year round! More information on Jersey Cares Day 2016 will be available February 2016.
September 11th Week of Service and Remembrance