Age Minimum (with Adult): 21+, Minimum Age:21+
Tutor and Mentor in Madison
Volunteers are needed to assist highly motivated, academically qualified 11th and 12th grade students. New Jersey SEEDS changes the lives of students from low-income families by transforming their educational opportunities. They ensure that their students have the knowledge, skills, access and support to thrive at the nation’s finest schools and colleges. Come out and share your knowledge to help make a true impact on our next generation!
- Volunteers will receive a brief orientation upon arrival
- Volunteers should process a level of patients while working with each student
- Volunteers should be comfortable assisting in basic Math and Writing
- Ask the child what they know. Ask them to point out words or numbers they understand and tell you what they mean.
- Ask the child what they think. Find out what kinds of conversations they are having in school about the concept, and how they feel about it.
- Find out what parts are tough. You can isolate your tutoring to the parts the student needs the most help.
- Teaching others is also learning. Ask the child to teach you how to do a certain process. When they get stuck, work on the next step together.
- Use your resources. Model how to look things up on the internet together. Ask them what steps they would use to find out more about the concept.
- Get help from others. Find someone else in the room, whether a student or tutor and ask them to guide you.
Orientation Video: Are you new to Jersey Cares? Watch our brief orientation video to learn more about who we are, what we do and how to sign-up for a project.
FAQ’s: For answers to our frequently asked questions, please visit the Help section of our website.
Waivers: All projects have non-negotiable age restrictions that are noted on the upper right side of each project description. If you meet the age restriction but are under 18, please have a parent or legal guardian complete the required youth waiver and bring with you to the project. Adults attending the project can expedite the registration process by printing the adult waiver in advance, sign and bring with you.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: