When does the Jersey Cares Coat Drive begin and end?
The Jersey Cares Coat Drive begins accepting coats on Wednesday, November 1st, and the last day for collection sites to drop off coats is Wednesday, December 13th. The Annual Jersey Cares Coat Drive Sort Off will take place on Saturday, December 16th. If you would like to donate a coat online in the meantime, you can do so now on our YouGiveGoods page.
How can I get involved in the Coat Drive?
- Donate a Coat: Check out our list of Public Collection Sites (Available Nov. 1st) to find a place near you to bring your new and gently used winter coats! You can also donate a coat online by visiting our YouGiveGoods page (coming soon!)
- Become a Collection Site: Register here to collect coats with Jersey Cares. Anyone can be a collection site! Once you sign up, we will send you a poster and a packet of information including where to drop off your collected coats, a donation tax receipt, and instructions.
- Start an Online Drive: You can create your own free Coat Drive collection page online with our partners at YouGiveGoods. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and email, name of your online page, and logo (if needed) to get your page up and running today! All donors are emailed a tax deductible receipt upon donating through your page. Find your team, challenge your friends and coworkers, and see how many neighbors you can keep warm this year!
- Volunteer to Sort Coats: We will have multiple opportunities to sort coats in your area on our Volunteer Opportunity Calendar. Check the calendar throughout November and December to find a project. The Jersey Cares Coat Drive Sort Off is on Saturday, December 16th when volunteers gather at each Central Drop Off Point to sort and distribute the last of the donated coats. Those opportunities are posted now HERE. We also have a special coat sorting opportunity at two NJ Devils games. These are posted on the calendar HERE.
- Spread the Word: Share our drive on social media! Retweet us, tag us on Instagram and Facebook..we are everywhere! Use #CoatDrive to encourage your friends and neighbors to clean out their closets and donate their coats to Jersey Cares.
- Donate: The Jersey Cares Coat Drive is an enormous undertaking and requires financial support to create its tremendous impact. Sponsors receive multiple benefits. Please contact the Michelle Dee at email@example.com if you are interested in becoming a sponsor, or click here to make a financial donation.
How do I collect coats?
You can collect coats with Jersey Cares as either a public or private collection site. If you choose to become a public collection site, your address and phone number will be available on our website for anyone in the area to bring you a coat. If you choose to become a private site, we will not share your contact information online and you can collect however you would like. Register here to collect coats. You can also create your own online collection page for free with YouGiveGoods. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a name for your page, your name and email, and a logo (if needed) to set up your page today!
Can I donate other items besides coats such as hats, gloves, or clothes to the Coat Drive?
Due to the size of the Coat Drive, we only have the capacity to accept new and gently used winter coats. If you have other items you would like to donate, we suggest contacting your local shelter.
I have a coat to donate-where can I bring it?
If you have 10 or less coats to donate, check out our list of Public Collection Sites (available Nov. 1st) to find a location that is accepting coats in your area. Be sure to pay attention to their hours and drive dates. If you have more than 10 coats, we suggest you register as a collection site, and give our office a call to find a Central Drop Off Point near you for your coats.
Can I donate a coat online?
Yes! Visit our YouGiveGoods (coming soon!) page to donate coats online. You will receive a thank you email with a tax deductible receipt once you donate. You can even create your own online Coat Drive. To set up your own page, email email@example.com with a name for your page, your name and email, and a logo (if needed) to set up your page today!
The Sort Off is a volunteer opportunity on Saturday, December 16th during which volunteers gather at every Central Drop Off Point in the state to sort and distribute the last of the donated coats. You can sign up to volunteer for the Sort Off HERE.
My agency would like to receive coats. Where do I register?
If you are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization or a school in New Jersey, you are eligible to receive coats from the Jersey Cares Coat Drive. You can sign up to receive coats here. Please note that coat donations are not guaranteed, and coats are distributed on a first-come first-served basis.
I've registered as a Coat Drive collection site-what do I do now?
Beginning in October, we will email you your instructions, donation tax receipt, list of Central Drop Off Points where you will bring your coats, and a pdf of our poster. Within the next week, we will also mail you a hard copy of this information as well as an 11x17 poster to use to promote your drive.
Does Jersey Cares provide boxes to collect coats?
Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to provide collection boxes to our volunteers. We suggest asking your local grocery store for extras, and you can always find boxes at a shipping and hardware stores.
Can Jersey Cares pick up my coats?
Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to make pickups due to the size of the Coat Drive. Please check out our list of Public Collection Sites to drop off your coats or call our office for a list of Central Drop Off Points near you if you have more than 10 coats to donate.
Can I get a tax deductible donation receipt for my coat donation?
Yes! Your donation is tax deductible, and you can download a donation receipt here. Donation values are assigned by the donor.